Adam and Wynn caught up with Micah Rich from The League of Moveable type to talk about open source typography.
Download: MP3 Audio
Items mentioned in the show:
- Micah Rich, from The League of Movable Type.
- Caroline Hadilaksono, co-founder of The League.
- League Gothic, one of Caroline’s popular faces is Wynn’s favorite.
- Several of League fonts are available on TypeKit.
- Dave Crossland, designer of Cantarell.
- Chunk was created by Meredith Mandel.
- The League fonts are forkable on GitHub.
- FontForge is an outline font editor that lets you create your own postscript, truetype, opentype, and more.
- Glyphs is a professional font editor for Mac OS X.
- Wynn’s slide decks make use of League Gothic and Hand of Sean.
- Lettering.js gives you more control over kerning on the web.
- The Manifesto lays out the vision for The League.
- Haley Fiege contributed Sniglet.
- Barry Schwartz has contributed several fonts.
- Want to help Micah introduce typographers to git? Get in touch.
- Wynn asks about vertical rhythm, which Compass makes easier.
- Lettercase is a social font manager.
- Adam uses FontExplorer X but wishes it did more.
- Micah on Dribbble.
- Lettercase is powered by Sinatra, Warden, and Grape.
- Hoefler & Frere-Jones are Micah’s heroes in typography design.
Have comments? Send a tweet to @TheChangelog on Twitter.
Subscribe to The Changelog Weekly – our weekly email covering everything that hits our open source radar.